Facebook Domain Verification: Background
In late 2017, Facebook began making changes to its security policies to address the growing public concern over the use of the platform by bad actors spreading misleading or false information. The new security protocols require owners to complete a verification process proving they are the rightful owner of their domain before allowing them to make changes to the way their content appears on Facebook.
Facebook Domain Verification: Overview
The domain verification process will allow you to claim ownership of your domain in Facebook’s Business Manager. Once you have completed the domain verification process and established ownership you will be able to connect to all Facebook pages that are managed by the same Business Manager account. As a verified owner you can edit headlines and descriptions for organic links from your domain to your Facebook page, and allow or block the ability of outside pages to edit ad link image thumbnails, headlines, and descriptions.
Facebook Domain Verification: How To Get Started
The Facebook domain verification process is accessed through your Business Manager dashboard. If you don’t have a Business Member account you will need to complete the free registration process before you are able to continue with domain verification process.
Step 1: Add Your Domain To Your Business Manager Account
- Aer signing in to your Business Manager account, locate and click the Business Settings button (look for it near the top right corner of the page)
- From the Business Settings page, select the Brand Safety tab, then select Domains from navigation menu on the le side of the screen.
- Click the Add button located in the center of the page to open a pop-up dialogue box. Enter your domain in the space provided within the dialog box and click Add Domain to close the pop-up.
- Your domain should now appear on the Domains page. If you have more than one domain associated with your Facebook Business Manager account you should see them listed here.
- Select the domain you would like to verify (not necessary if there is only one domain) to
choose your domain verification method
Step 2: Verify Your Domain
Facebook provides the following list of methods you can use to verify domain ownership.
You will need to choose the best method that works best for you. A brief overview is provided below to help you with your selection. You only need to complete the steps for one option.
Option #1: DNS Verification
To use Option #1, select the DNS Verification tab for your selected domain. The specific TXT entry that you will need to enter to complete the verification process will be provided within the instructions under this tab.
The following information provides a general overview of the process. The specific steps to add the TXT to your DNS record may diﬀer from one domain service to another so you will need to consult the instructions specific to your domain service to complete the process.
- Locate and open the DNS record section of your domain host.
- Add the TXT entry that Facebook has provided for you (located under the DNS Verification tab) to your DNS record
- Add @ to the Host field (if it is required by your domain host)
- Wait for the changes you have made to completely propagate across your domain’s web servers (this process can take up to 72 hours)
- Once changes have fully propagated, click the Verify button under the DNS Verification tab to complete the domain verification process. then click the Verify button at the bottom of the DNS Verification tab for the selected domain.
Do not remove the DNS TXT entry from your DNS record. Facebook will check the entry periodically for verification confirmation purposes.
Option #2: HTML File Upload
To use Option #2, select the HTML File Upload tab for your selected domain. The specific HTML verification file that you will need to upload to your website to complete the verification process will be provided within the instructions under this tab.
1. Download the HTML verification file provided by Facebook
- Upload the HTML file to the root directory of your website. You can monitor the upload process on the HTML File Upload tab.
- Once the file has finished uploading, click the Verify button at the bottom of the HTML File Upload tab for the selected domain to complete the domain verification process.
Do not remove the HTML verification file from your website’s root directory. Facebook will check the file periodically for verification confirmation purposes.
Option #3: Meta Tag Verification
To use Option #3, select the Meta Tag Verification tab for your selected domain. The specific meta tag that you will need to add to your domain home page to complete the verification process will be provided within the instructions under this tab.
- Add the meta tag containing your verification code into the <head> section of the HTML code for your domain home page.
- Confirm that the meta tag is visible by navigating to your domain home page and accessing the HTML source code information.
- Once you have confirmed that the tag is visible, click the Verify button at the bottom of the Meta Tag Verification tab for the selected domain.
Do not remove the meta tag from the <head> section of your domain home page. Facebook will check the tag periodically for verification confirmation purposes.
Step 3: Associate Your Facebook Pages With Your Verified Domain
Finally, you will create a list of all of the Facebook pages that you wish to have associated with your verified domain.
- From the Business Settings page, select Domains, and choose the desired domain.
- Select Pages in the Assigned Assets panel of your chosen domain, then click the Assign Pages button. You should see a list of all of the pages that you have added to your Business Manager. If you have not yet added your Facebook pages to your Business Manager you can import them under the Pages tab.
- Select all of the pages that you want to associate with your verified domain then simply click save Changes to complete the domain verification process.
Congratulations! The Facebook domain verification process is complete. Your content is secure and
you are in control so you can rest assured that your Facebook pages are always presenting your brand according to your vision.
Go Beyond The Blog
Get your copy of our free ebook “How To Master The Follow-up Without Annoying Your Leads” and get even more information.