If you are a business owner or entrepreneur, chances are, you are always looking for
ways to attract more customers and grow your business, you have probably learned
already that customer attention is a scarce commodity these days. One way to capture
the attention of customers and potential customers is through attention marketing.
Statistics show that these days, you have eight seconds, or less, to catch a customer’s
eye and attention, so how can you do that?
What is attention marketing?
Attention marketing is a term that was coined by internet entrepreneur Steve Jelley to
describe a business model that has evolved around the growth and popularity of
social media. The phenomenon is an extension of marketing, which is the generation
of consumer interest into products or services that are offered by a business.
Traditionally, businesses generated customers through internet marketing techniques,
things like search engine marketing (SEM), search engine optimization (SEO) and
banner ads as well as email marketing and mobile advertising. But, social media giants
like Facebook and Twitter actually do not use these tools to generate user attention. In
contrast, it is user-generated content that makes up the majority of content on these
platforms, therefore, users view content on the sites according to what most interests
them. This behavior collapses the traditional barriers between content, distribution
and marketing because any activity on social media achieves all three of these
Instead of having to interrupt users’ attention to market to them, social media
presents a business opportunity to capture people’s attention and channel that
attention to an appropriate vendor when it presents itself as a genuine desire to buy a
product or service. Previously, it was very hard and expensive for businesses to market
themselves on any platform other than a mass, broadcast basis. It was all but
impossible to target messages to individuals. But, social media has completely
upended and changed that. With social media, companies can target according to
users’ attention and make their messages way more relevant and appropriate to
When you are using attention marketing to grab the attention of customers, here are
some things to remember:
• Be clear in your messaging: Research from Neilsen shows that pages that have clear
value to them are much more likely to hold people’s attention for longer.
• Keep your messaging short and sweet: When your message is succinct yet
meaningful, customers will read it in its entirety and they will also see that you
respect their time by not bombarding them with pages and pages of marketing
• Appeal to your customer’s desires by telling a story: If you want to captivate an
audience, you must first captivate attention. This starts with crafting a story that
will resonate with the audience you are targeting. In order to truly resonate, this
messaging must be focused on what they truly want, not just what you are selling.
• Focus on the User Experience and ease of navigation: If you are inviting users/
your customers in with a captivating story, don’t take them out of the experience
with a bad user experience— that’s a surefire way to drive customers away before
even getting the chance to truly pull them in.
• Use rich, compelling media that is going to catch customer’s attention like videos
Now that we’ve established what attention marketing is and why it is vital to adopt
attention marketing strategies these days, let’s dive into 10 tips you can use attention
marketing to acquire more customers:
- Offer short content that is easy and quick to digest: It’s no secret that our
online attention spans are shorter than ever these days, and for good reason.
Every time we log in online we are pulled in tons of different directions and given
an information overload. In order to make sure that your content is actually
digested and processed instead of just being scrolled by, it needs to be attention-grabbing, fun, and short. This content is fun and easy to produce too because instead of focusing on long-form pieces of content you can have fun with it and create little snippets of information. You can use different fonts and colors to
emphasize different parts of your messaging and make it easy for consumers to
read and follow along with.
2. Create viral content: Viral content is everything these days, after all by creating
viral content you are exposing your company to millions and millions of views
and potential customers. While there is no exact science to create viral content
and content that goes viral does seem to do so at random, we have a few tips to
help increase your chances of your content going viral:
• Try to come up with content that is both unique, either emotional or
hilarious and addictive
• Have a brainstorming session where different viral ideas and their
potential outcomes are discussed and assessed
• Build a team of people who specialize in viral content and can generate a
a good amount of viral ideas
• Surprise the audience by telling a different story than you typically do
3. Use gifs: Gifs are extremely popular these days because they are easy to use, they
are cute and they are funny and relevant. Gifs can turn seemingly boring or irrelevant
content into catchy content that is easy to digest. There are plenty of free resources
and websites where you can find gifs and where you can also create your own. Gifs
are easy to consume, they can help simplify a story, message, or process, they evoke
emotion and help show your brand’s personality, they can help you show off a
product or an offer and highlight your company’s culture.
4. Entertain your audience with memes: Memes, like gifs, are extremely popular
these days because they are funny and entertaining. Incorporate them into your
marketing strategy and watch your followers and customers grow. Memes typically are
an image with words over the image and they are a good way to infuse humor into
your marketing copy and grab your audience’s attention. Memes are easy to
understand and extremely popular these days in online culture. Memes work well in
social media posts and/or blog posts. Memes can also be found all over the Internet
but you will want to create your own personalized memes to target your message and
customers. This can be done with various online meme generator tools. Adding some
humor to your social media content is a great way to engage and build your audience.
Memes are likely to be shared because they are so entertaining and funny, the more
your memes are shared, the more eyes on your business and the greater the likelihood
for you to attract new customers. Memes are a simple way to expand your reach
and improve your brand awareness.
5. Write compelling copy: They say that content is king these days and for good reason. Providing your customers with compelling content that can act as a resource for them is a wonderful way to attract more customers. If you are consistently pumping out a compelling copy, your customers are going to rely on you as the expert in your industry. The better your copy is, the more likely your customers are to share it with friends, family, and their social media followers This means more views on your page and more changes to convert these newcomers into followers. Compelling copy is a great way to get personal with your customers as well and share the story of your brand, how you got there, and any struggles along the way. This will humanize you and increase your chances of connecting with customers and potential customers on a deeper level. Good headlines are another extremely important component of creating compelling copy because you need something that will stop followers from scrolling and click on your content, read it and get hooked and also share it with their followers. An attention-grabbing headline is a place to start.
6. Get in on a trend: Viral trends are everywhere lately, especially with the rise of
TikTok where we see every user and company trying to jump in on the latest viral
trend. How you decide to get in on that trend is up to you and where you think your
customers will most appreciate seeing you getting in on the trend. Now, you can
absolutely get in on TikTok trends but if that isn’t really your speed there are other
ways. Consider your blog. If there is a hot news story or controversial topic going
around, why not share your take or your thoughts on it? This is a simple way to
generate a lot of views on your website or blog and attract new customers. This
content will be likely to be shared but also has the potential to attract media attention.
When you get the attention of the media, you are receiving free publicity and
acquiring more customers by enabling you to reach out to a larger audience.
7. Interactive content: Content that is interactive is obviously going to be more
attention-grabbing than static content. So, how can you create some? Think about
how you can use quizzes (think of Buzzfeed), games, contests—anything you can
think of that is going to create interaction between your customers and your website.
You may have noticed more quizzes and polls on sites like LinkedIn, Twitter,
Facebook and Instagram, this is because it really works to draw in the audience and
have them engage and interact with your content.
8. Use influencers to your advantage: Influencers are a not-so-secret weapon to have in your marketing arsenal. An influencer is a person with tons of online followers that you can use to promote your product. This is an awesome way to
attract new customers because these influencers have a lot of, well, influence. When an influencer uses one of your products or services and shows it off to their millions
of followers, that’s millions of new eyeballs looking at your product. People are more likely to use a product or service when it comes with a word-of-mouth
recommendation. Seeing an influencer using and loving a product is the perfect
recommendation, especially because influencers are seen as experts by a lot of their
followers and they automatically trust whatever product they see the influencer using.
Using an influencer to promote your brand can help you reach a much wider
audience, build trust for your brand, grow your social following, increase traffic to
your site, get more leads, drive sales and attract new customers.
9. Create a podcast: It seems these days like everybody and their mother has a
podcast. That’s because they are extremely popular right now and a great way for you
to branch out and create engagement with customers as well as acquire new
customers. Podcasting is an excellent way to get your brand noticed and to build a
new audience for your business, just make sure you take the appropriate amount of
time to invest in good equipment so that you are pumping out professional-sounding
content that will keep you credible. Also, research the topics you are going to talk
about, bring on engaging guests to interview, and have a plan. You don’t want to get
up there with your internal mic from your old laptop and just babble about it, that’s not
engaging content and you will find yourself not attracting any new customers that
10. Use infographics: Infographics are another great way to present convoluted
information in an easy-to-read and digest way for your customers. These infographics
automatically catch the eye because they are bright colors and they can be a great tool
to break up a lot of text on the internet. People would much rather ready the
information in an easy-to-read infographic instead of sifting through pages and pages
of monotonous information. That being said, make sure your infographics are easy to
read, are done in nice eye-catching colors.
Here are some tips to create a great infographic:
• Think of a compelling story or an idea that is a lot to digest and how you can easily
illustrate it through an infographic.
• Choose topics that are relevant and newsworthy
• Make sure your sources are reliable and up-to-date and that your information is
accurate. Cite your sources at the bottom of the infographic.
• Make sure your design isn’t crowded with too much text. You want it to be simple
and easy to read while also being visually appealing and eye-catching.
Golden rules of attention marketing
Value: You must share content that will be seen as valuable by customers. Content
that is remarkably better than everything else that customers can find out there. Make
sure that your content is exceptional, interesting, useful and reliable. Remember, you
want to grab and hold the attention of your ideal customers.
Reach: Your customers will find your content across various platforms and places on
the internet. To make sure that your brand’s message sticks in their minds long after
they have been exposed to it, ensure that you are posting content across as many
different internet platforms as you can.
Consistency: They key to being memorable for any business is being consistent. You
want to strive to build your reputation in the minds of customers as being consistent.
You can do this by consistently publishing great content that will have them knowing
they can rely on you for content that is engaging, entertaining, valuable and
Relationship: Your goal is to create an authentic relationship with all of your
customers. Authenticity is harder to find these days as we find ourselves living in a
world full of highlight reels. The good news is that means that authenticity is also
appreciated more than ever when it is found. The goal is to create an authentic
relationship with your customers for years to come.
In today’s world of information overload where we have greater access to information
than ever before, being able to grab and hold the attention of an audience and
potential customers is more important than ever. That’s where attention marketing
ones in. It’s a solution to most modern-day marketing woes because it takes all of the
challenges of short attention spans into account and allows you to create content that
stands out, is exciting, fresh, and relevant. Because consumers have limited attention
these days, it is essential that marketers make it valuable for consumers to interact
with their mobile marketing efforts, remember that as you craft your attention